Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

About a month ago I was perusing the many blogs I like to follow looking for ways to cut costs and cut out sulfates and phosphates. I discovered a recipe for "Homemade Laundry Soap." After purchasing a $30.00 box of Tide that wasn't so great for my HE machine, I decided I had to give it a shot. All of the ingredients only cost me $10.00 and it made 2 gallons. Yikes!

Thanks to MaryJane at thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com for this amazing recipe.

4 lbs. Borax
4 lbs. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
4 lbs. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
3 bars Ivory Soap (original recipe called for Fels Naptha, but I couldn't find it until after I made my recipe)

First, grate the 3 bars of Ivory soap with the small side of a grater. Then, combine all ingredients in a large bucket and mix together. (I used a 5 gallon bucket to mix it and found it easier to mix if I added a little of each ingredient at a time.) This makes 2 gallons of laundry soap, and I bought a 2 gallon plain white paint bucket with lid to store mine.

Depending on the size of your laundry load, you would use 1 - 2 tablespoons of the laundry soap. YES! I said tablespoons. It is amazing! I gave it a shot and not only are my clothes softer, but my whites are whiter. I will never go back to store bought again.

NOTE: If using an HE machine, you can dissolve the laundry soap for each load in a small jar of hot water and then place in your machine. I have found that both ways work for me.

If you decide to give it a try, please let me know how it went. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment