Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Butter... Different Tools and Methods

I have been making my own butter for years. I recently purchased yet another gadget for my kitchen, a "buttercup." This new gadget promised to make the small batch butter making process even easier. I decided to do a side by side comparison using this tool and following its method and comparing it to my tools and method.

Buttercup:
Tools: "buttercup butter maker," heaving whipping cream, salt
Notes About Method: The heavy whipping cream had to be stored at room temp for 6-8 hours. Shaking process takes 2-3 minutes. The buttermilk was to be strained through the top of the container. Butter was supposed to be collected in the ramekin portion of the gadget and salted to taste.
Result: creamy white coloring with medium flavor

My Tools:
Tools: mason jar, bowl, spoon, heavy whipping cream, salt
Notes About Method: The heavy whipping cream was to be left on counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Shaking process takes 3-5 minutes. The excess buttermilk and water is strained out of the butter by using the back of a spoon to squeeze it out. Butter is placed in a bowl to add salt and then into a container for storing.
Result: vibrant yellow coloring with full flavor

This comparison shows me that I don't need a new gadget for something I've been doing for years. My tools and method proved to be just as effective, if not better, than the new one. I'm sure by tweaking the method of this new gadget I will find a way to make it work for me.

Have you made your own butter? What tools and method do you use?

Hugs,
Jenni

2 comments:

  1. I have a large wooden butter churn in my kitchen….it collects dust…maybe I should take a Sunday afternoon and try your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How AWESOME! Is it the large stick churn or is it the crank churn? After making my own butter it is hard to buy it at the market. I love the flavor I am able to produce. :)

      Delete