Saturday, April 6, 2013

Welcome Home Chickens

My babies are home. Today Christopher and I made the drive to Norco to pick up our chickens. Here is a glimpse into how we felt:


Christopher thinking, "What has Jenni gotten us into?"


Me thinking, "I can't believe I finally got Christopher to agree to getting chickens! Are we actually going to get them?"

So we arrived at the chicken farm. I was so excited I almost couldn't contain it. Due to the age of chickens I wanted, we had a limited number of choices. However, two of the breeds were available. We got a Buff Orpington and a Maran. When it is time for eggs we will have light brown and chocolate medium sized eggs.

The wonderful gentleman we bought them from put them in a bag with holes in it. At this point, I was a little freaked out. A bag? He told us it was actually better than a box because they were cradled and felt more secure. Okay, it seems to make sense I guess.

When we got home we put them in their new coop. They were incredibly shy, but as the afternoon wore on, they started to warm up. Here I am looking in on them. I was so giddy that I did not realize I had assumed the "little girl" pose.


After a long thought out process, I decided on two names. I am a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and chose two of my favorite character names. So I'd like you to meet Sabrina (Sabrina Fairchild) and Holly (Holly Golightly). Sabrina is the Maran, and Holly is the Buff Orpington.


Sabrina and Holly are looking forward to the weekly blog post featuring them. If you'd like to read more about them, check back every Tuesday for "Pullet's Corner."

Until tomorrow, sweet dreams.

Hugs,
Jenni

3 comments:

  1. What a fun post, Jenni! Good luck with your new kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Back in my chicken days I owned Buff Orpingtons and a number of other breeds, but not Marans. So I did a little reading and they sound like a fun breed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing the saga of Sabrina and Holly. You remind me of Audry. Really cute pics and blog.

    ReplyDelete