Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's Recipe Day! Enjoy this fresh warm bread...

I have been a baking machine. Today I woke up to a fresh fruit and vegetable delivery. It definitely got me in the mood for some vegetable soup with homemade bread. So the search began for a new bread recipe that I have not yet tried. While looking through my books I found the following recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

Amish White Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more as needed
3 cups bread flour
3/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 cup flour; stir to combine. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining flour. Stir to combine. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8 - 10 minutes. Return to bowl, oil the top, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface and shape into an oblong loaf. Place into the prepared pan seam-side down and set aside to proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350*F.
4. Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water and a pinch of salt,and brush lightly onto the surface of the risen loaf. Bake until golden brown and hollow sounding, about 30 - 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely on a rack.

So go ahead and give this delicious recipe a try. Then let me know what you think.

**This recipe is courtesy of "The Modern-Day Pioneer: Simple Living in the 21st Century" by Charlotte Denholtz.

Hugs,
Jenni

2 comments:

  1. It's snowing here and I may just have to bake some bread too! :)
    But I have to say, the idea that you woke up to a fresh fruit and vegetable delivery makes me a bit jealous as I look out at our cold and snow! Where do you live?
    Anne Dovel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I love my monthly delivery of fresh, organic, locally grown fruits and veggies. I'm in Southern California. Sometimes I wish I had snow, but I'm grateful for year round crops. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete